Sunday, July 19, 2009

a cup of healthy heaven?

For the past couple of weeks I have been working on watching what I eat without compromising taste. This task is even more difficult than it sounds. Trust me.

However, I have found a tasty treat in the mornings so I thought I would share. It's a morning protein shake - but before you gag or feel queasy, read through the recipe and then try it! You'll need a blender. I found a great deal on a Hamilton Beach at Wal-Mart for only $19.95.

You'll need the following ingredients:


- 1 cup soy milk (I use Silk lite Vanilla. It's low in fat and has a semi-sweet flavor to it. You can substitute low fat or skim milk if soy freaks you out or you don't like the taste)
- 1/2 a banana (You may not like banana taste, but only for the shake's consistency. Plus if you add other strong flavored fruits, you'll barely know it's even there!)
- 1/2 a cup of strawberries 
- 1/2 a cup of blueberries
- 1 scoop of lite whey protein (I use EAS lite vanilla; it gives you 23 grams of protein and only 3 grams of carbs in one scoop)

Puree until the shake is smooth. *Word to the wise, pour your milk or soy milk first so the powder and fruit doesn't stick to the sides of the hopper. Sometimes I substitute the strawberries and blueberries for peaches or a whole banana. Just depends on what you favorite flavors happen to be.

This morning shake usually fills me up enough to last me until lunch without snacking and I'm getting a ton of protein with low fat and enough carbs to get me going. I'm no health-nut by any means, but if you like milk shakes or smoothies, this may be a great way to start your day.

Bon apetit!

xoxo
Katherine

No comments: