Sunday, May 17, 2009

triangle restaurant week

Calling all foodies! 

This past week had to have been one of your favorites weeks out of the entire year. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, also known as the Triangle, brought together 51 restaurants to make up Triangle Restaurant Week. From May 11th through the 17th, these restaurants created a prix fixed menu including one appetizer, one entree and one dessert for $25 per person for dinner and $15 for lunch. 

Parizade of Durham, Solas of Raleigh and the Weathervane of Chapel Hill are just a few of the amazing partners in this week of mouth-watering delights. 

I was only able to participate at a few spots this week. I pulled off the menu at SixPlates in Durham. I had the "tenured" lamby joes flatbread with tomatoes and goat cheese - yes, it melts in your mouth. I also had some of the most delectable scallops I've had in a very long time. They put their usual Saturday Special on hold due to TRW, but definitely check their web site for weekend specials! You cannot go wrong with the urban chic vibe and friendly staff! Try ittt!

Thanks to my awesome big brother, my family was able to have dinner at Four Square in Durham on Saturday evening. This was my first experience here. The setting was quaint in a Victorian-era home off 15-501.  Executive chef Shane Ingram takes seemingly standard dishes to another level. I started with some English Pea & Blue Crab fritters with a lemon aioli - loved the homemade "old bay" spices for a little kick! I also got to try my sister's asparagus bisque - semi-sweet with a bit of lemon zest. VERY good! For my entree I had Roasted North Carolina Rainbow Trout with risotto (my fav) alla carbonara with an egg on top, sunnyside up! The salty egg with the creamy risotto was perfect combination for the trout! DELISH! For dessert I had a Strawberry Shortcake with coconut panna cotta - there really was no messing up this dish as I am the biggest strawberry fan on the planet :) What a great meal! Four Square is a great find!

So while I did not participate fully in Triangle Restaurant Week, I at least now know it exists! It's an amazing way for people to fully experience all of the culinary talent in the area without stretching out their wallets. My mouth is already watering for TRW 2010!

Cheers!
xoxo
Katherine


No comments: