Sunday, April 26, 2009

All aboard for the baby train...

Last night I had a drink with two girl friends of mine. It was great to see them because it'd been a while since I'd seen them both. As we were catching up, conversation began to steer toward how their husbands were doing and how married-life was treating them. Of course, I'm not married and some of their stories are hilarious and fascinating. But then they started talking about babies and having children.

One already has a three-year-old. The other just became an aunt about a month ago, is married and wants kids eventually. They literally talked about how to plan for a baby, and what parts you cannot plan, etc. I immediately felt lost. I feel lost when they're talking about being a wife, let alone talking about cost of diaper services!

I completely get that they are in a whole new ball game than I am. Marriage changes a lot of things in your life. And everyone and every couple are certainly individual in their own right. So maybe it was just the fact that two-out-of-three of the girls at that table just happened to have already crossed the marital boundary? But I still can't help but wonder how a woman, who is the same age as I am, can be so ready to have children, or has already done so?

Nothing really throws me off in social conversation. I can actually take a lot. But this is the first time I felt queasy just thinking about it. I'm not sure what that says about me and where along the decision line I am?

Don't get me wrong, I want a big family someday. But I think I'll take my grand, ole time doing so :)

xoxo
Katherine

No comments: